Friday, May 17, 2013

Eyes are the Mirrors of the Soul

Today I'll talk about two people you might or might not know. The one in the first photo is me. I was 46 and I was auditioning for some plays and commercials that year. It's a head shot from my contact sheet. When we got married, Tom kept it on his night table so I was the first thing he saw in the morning, whether I was there or not.  The poem below he wrote about my eyes the year before he died.



ICICLE

Icicle, Icicle, burning bright,
light of mystery, light of delight.

What is the fire I see,
burning bright, burning true?

Do you love me, as I love you?
Can there be true fire in eyes so blue?

Hush, sweet crystal eyes.
I hold you now, sleep through the night.

Icicle, icicle – eyes that delight,
first green, then violet, then blue.

Will love that burns with such
sweet passion, stay forever true?

First you see me, then I see you.
I stroke your heart, and the fires flame.

Then they flicker violet, or is it blue?
If I should fall in love this night, I blame you.

Thomas Carmack Rice


This is Tom when he got his BA in playwriting and directing. You can't see those amazing, sapphire blue eyes, but you can see that wild, red hair! Below the picture is the poem I wrote about his eyes the same year he wrote the one about mine.


THOSE EYES


Those eyes have seen a lifetime of pain and hurt,
yet returned only kindness and understanding.

Those eyes have seen a world that looked so bad,
and still managed to pick out the hidden good.


Those eyes have seen the hopelessness in humans,
but found a way to give them a glimpse of hope.


Those eyes have seen my mind, my heart, my soul,
and joined lockstep in the eternal dance of love.


Karen Mabry Rice

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The eyes, the face, the poems - you could have launched a thousand ships the way Helen did. Good timing that you posted this minutes after I saw the worst horror movie ever (because it's a true story), "An American Crime," showing how complicit people can be in victimizing, even torturing and murdering, an innocent. Hope is hard to see after a story like that. Thanks for this: //Those eyes have seen the hopelessness in humans, but found a way to give them a glimpse of hope.//

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog list reminds me that I should have come up with a clever name for my blog. :-) I was going for simplicity. http://carolkean.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple works, sweetie. Thanks for the comments! How's the novel/novels going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving, Karen. And you're so beautiful. I bet Tom's eyes were one of the reasons you fell in love with him.
    I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and the Sunshine Award. If you'd like to accept, go here: (No pressure). http://silviatomasvillalobos.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/take-love-and-receive-it-blog-awards/

    ReplyDelete