Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Is Here ?

To quote the Cowardly Lion (the movie version, not Baum's) "Unusual weather we're havin', ain't it?"  After a number of record high days in the 80s in March and early April, the Midwest was plunged into a cold snap last night.  I rarely watch the weather, but I'm glad I did this time.  I had 11 tomato plants, 2 cucumber vines and a wisteria bush I had planned to get into the ground.  Today I'd be looking at their black, withered little corpses, because we hit 33 last night, what used to be called a "killing frost."   Hmmm, I think I just found the title of my next book!

 Interesting how weather can be benign one moment and very malign in the next.  Today was not only benign, it was downright beneficent.  Clear sunny skies, birds hopping about flirting, flitting, and nest building.  And flowers - everywhere, flowering shrubs and trees like azalea, forsythia, pear and quince.  And those other harbingers of spring nodding in the breeze, tulips, grape hyacinths, and daffodils.  Roses and Iris budding and blooming in many colors.  It was a great day to be out and about.  And tomorrow my plants will go in the ground in hopes of a free watering from the promised weekend rains.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment