Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Week Away

My friend, Cindy remarked that daily blogging is not a sustainable hobby, and I must agree with her.  While I have the legit excuse of having been down with the flu, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have been blogging anyway.  Just didn't have anything to say.

I did finish the Zane Grey memoir about five days ago.  I have to be perfectly honest about it.  He spent two thirds of the book laying background, and, sad to say, much of his prose needed some serious de-purpling, especially as he built up the romance between the heroine and her future husband.  To be totally honest, I wouldn't have kept reading but for two things, my interest in writing a historical memoir because of my own book, and the fact that the foreword promised Betty Zane would perform an act of heroism that would contribute to the winning of the last battle of the American Revolution.  The last nine chapters were exciting, full of action, and very well written.  Betty Zane did indeed live up to her advance publicity.

I'm now slogging through Bluefeather Fellini.  If it doesn't get better soon, I won't finish it.

Right now I have a more important writing problem.  I'm twelve chapters into the sequel to my first novel, and not at all in control of the situation.  I've accused my characters of not liking the plot I constructed.  A very good critique from a friend whose writing I respect brought me up short and made me face the fact that I'm the one who doesn't like the plot.  So now I've got to decide, introduce the action of the original plot about six chapters earlier than planned, or write a new plot. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

2 comments:

  1. Karen! You're blogging! So happy to hear--see?--it! Cindy's right--there's no way that blogging every day is sustainable, at least not without some serious planning on topics and stuff. The A-Z challenge Cindy and I are doing does involve daily posts during April, and it's been a lot of fun (lots of new great friends, great blogs, etc.), but yeah--I'll do this once a year, tops, haha!

    Sorry to hear about the changes plot-wise. At least you found out now and not at the end of the first draft, right? Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it's the blind leading the blind if you're taking my advice about blogging. But since Guilie - my blogging mentor - agrees, I guess we are in good shape!

    I finished all the rest of my A2Z posts over the weekend and I feel like I just took my last final of the semester. My 20 year college reunion is next month, so that's a feeling I haven't felt in a LONG time.

    ReplyDelete